20.3.10

Dorie's Brioche, sort of.

You are all about to finally receive the tale of the time I made brioche.
You lucky devils.

Night-owls of the world, hear my cry!

No, just kidding, I've not been in the kitchen for anything longer than a cup of coffee that I didn't even brew myself today, there have been no late night baking. I did have my hair dyed and will of course now pimp out catwalk! and the amazing colorist, one SJ. Chicagoans, you should check it out. And not only do the fine folks of catwalk! (not just a salon, also a gallery and performance space and all of that) not even know that I am saying they are awesome, but I'm certain they have no idea that I even have this blog. So. It's a real shout out.


But I meant to post this recipe for brioche forever ago and I didn't, so, I suck and would like to remedy that and seeing as how I can't sleep (though, weirdly, last night I totally just dreamed that I couldn't fall asleep - the entire dream was me "trying to sleep"), it was the perfect time! But I mean, I'd forgotten where I found the recipe and then kept forgetting and WELL here it is now. No harm.

If I had the mind to, I'd make some these for the morning seeing as how I'm maybe-possibly going to go to an early morning meditation class. A two hour meditation class, I think, offered for free. I should really be more exciting. Which, of course, brings us back to the brioche!

This is insanely delicious. I need to make this all the time, until mine look as awesome as the original picture. Then again, Dorie Greenspan - the bringer of this delicious treat - probably followed her own directions better than I did. But for someone who has been always quite nervous with yeast, I'd say that it was a gentler introduction than I expected.

Between this and the pita? I'm totally ready for bread-baking. I'm not even going to lie about how exciting that is. (see previous: be more exciting note)

LOOK AT THE YEASTY MIXTURE GETTING ALL YEASTY
OH IT IS SO IMPRESSIVE
Look. We were broke then and had Canadian Club. 
You have all seen enough snaps here to know that we generally drink Segram's 7. Or something Irish. Or. Well, clearly or this.

Here is a link to Dorie's helpful Brioche Made Easy tips, as published in Bon Appetit. And, um, I will admit to not really following about half of those. Overnight? I wanted brioche right then! It is entirely my fault that I did not achieve the heights of the recipe I am about to give you.

But, seriously, it was unbelievably delicious. I can not even tell you. Oh, my goodness. Not as airy because I didn't listen properly (a mistake I shan't repeat again) but insanely tasty and we devoured it so quickly I was glad I'd gotten any photos at all. I made mine a little extra vanilla-y. Naturally.

Without further ado: Dorie Greenspan's as-published-in Bon Appetit October 2009 - Bubble-Top Brioches

Delicious Ingredients:  

- 1/4 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 1/4
cup warm whole milk (110°F to 115°F)

- 3
teaspoons active dry yeast (measured from two 1/4-ounce envelopes)

- 2 3/4
cups all purpose flour

- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
- 3
large eggs, room temperature

- 3
tablespoons sugar

- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1
large egg beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)

Preparation 

 Combine 1/4 cup warm water and warm milk in bowl of heavy-duty mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Sprinkle yeast over and stir to moisten evenly. Let stand until yeast dissolves, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Add flour and salt to yeast mixture. Blend at medium-low speed until shaggy lumps form, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in sugar. Increase mixer speed to medium; beat until dough is smooth, about 3 minutes.

Reduce speed to low. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until blended after each addition, about 4 minutes (dough will be soft and silky). Increase speed to medium-high and beat until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and climbs paddle, 8 to 9 minutes.

Lightly butter large bowl. Scrape dough into bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in volume, about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes.

Gently deflate dough by lifting around edges, then letting dough fall back into bowl, turning bowl and repeating as needed. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill, deflating dough in same way every 30 minutes until dough stops rising, about 2 hours. Chill overnight. (At this point, use the dough to make 12 brioches, or 6 brioches and 1 tart, or 2 tarts.)

Butter 12 standard (1/3-cup) muffin cups. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; cut each piece into thirds. Roll each small piece between palms into ball. Place 3 balls in each prepared cup (dough will fill cup).
Place muffin pan in warm draft-free area; lay sheet of waxed paper over. Let dough rise until light and almost doubled (dough will rise 1/2 inch to 1 inch above top rim of muffin cups), 50 to 60 minutes.

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Place muffin pan on rimmed baking sheet. Gently brush egg glaze over risen dough, being careful that glaze does not drip between dough and pan (which can prevent full expansion in oven).

Bake brioches until golden brown, covering with foil if browning too quickly, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to rack. Cool 10 minutes. Remove brioches from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.



Kitchenry's Note: I suggest serving with delicious butter melting on it. Just saying. I mean. Look at that? 

I woke up my roommate with a plate like this. Let me tell you, I never wake this boy up if possible to avoid. It's, well, it's scary - he gets very cranky. But not this time. No time to be cranky when eating fresh from the oven buttered brioche. (or, arguably, anything fresh from the oven) 

I hope you guys enjoy them!


No comments: