9.3.10

Shepard's Pie or What I Did On Monday.

 Eat me! 
Because I'm ever so tasty! 
Then, go out and get some sheep and live on a farm where geese serenely watch me frolic in the daffodils.
HOW IDYLLIC.

I don't actually eat a lot of red meat, but I was wanting it pretty hardcore earlier this week and did what any self-respecting ginger does in the month of March. Or any time. Ever.

I covered it with mashed potato.

Yes, that's right, I made myself a delicious Shepard's Pie. First of all, I hadn't had one in ages (except a seafood one from Goddess & Grocer and holy quailman, was that delicious). Secondly, I've raved about my green Le Creuset baking dish and, well, any excuse to use that makes for a really fantastic day. Third, I'd had a really whatever weekend topped with being sick and cooking is super helpful for that sort of mood.

Not to mention, lately my cat has been freaking out any time I do anything involving chopping. She doesn't want an onion or even the chicken (people-food my cat eats: tuna, peppered thin-sliced deli chicken for a sammich, that's about it) - she just wants to be offered the people-food. She believes in manners and graciousness. Lyra is, after all, a lady.

If you wanted to know, said lady is currently curled up on my lap between me and my laptop. Also, I am listening to Patton Oswalt. I'm wearing a yellow Hello Kitty t-shirt with Japanese on it (which I hope says something like "I have no idea what this says!"). I figured as long as I was giving you lot useless information....

On to what you came here for!

I made a Shepard's Pie. It's not exactly traditional, but it was pretty delicious. Allow me to explain it for you! This made enough for my baking dish. I probably could have done this a little differently. BUT I DID NOT. (next time, less potato, so, keep that in mind?)

Ingredients:

Mashed Taters (use your favorite recipe!)

- ground beef (traditionally lamb, I would like to try ground turkey or chicken or maybe a seitain! mmm. vegetarian.)
- five mushrooms, sliced
- half a can of diced tomato
- a small chopped onion
- two carrots, sliced
- several cloves of garlic, sliced and chopped
- pepper, salt, basil, spices (for some reason, I wanted tarragon. I don't even know. I've never said that before.)
- one cup of broth (beef or veg - I maybe used chicken because I had it.)
- a bay leaf
- may I suggest some peas? I did not use them as my roommate dislikes them (!!) but next time I will anyway 'cause WHATEVER I enjoy them.

Now.

The garlic and onion and carrots go in first, in a little oil. Season a little. Cook until the carrot is nearing tender. Then chuck in the meat, cook up a bit. Add tomato, mushrooms, peas. Then the broth! Naturally, season a little more and the bay leaf and let it cook down. I may or may not have gotten hungry and given up near the end - you should be a little more patient than I am.

Pour into your baking dish. Cover in delicious mashed potato. My mashed potato was simply some boiled potato, some milk, enough butter, some Vulcan Fire Salt, some Shallot-Pepper, and some cheese.

I love cheese!

Pop it into your 350 F degree oven.

Let the potato get a little toasty and then let it cool a little and CHOW DOWN. I found this really delicious. I want to perfect it.

You'll all be so thrilled! Still. I really liked it. I even ate it cold today and it was so tasty. I bet wine would be a good addition. (duh.)
PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE UNDER THIS
THIS IS NOT A THOUSAND MILLION JILLION CALORIES
Also - my cell phone pictures are getting better!


Also. If you leave stock in your meat when you put it in your dish (note to self: this recipe could be written to sound so dirty - I suspect. I don't know. Um. Moving on.) - you get the pools of broth that make it look like oil. This didn't have that much oil! Not really!

Not that this is, you know, healthy per say.

Enjoy!

No comments: